Effective as of August 2, 2021.
vipHomeLink may provide additional or supplemental privacy policies to individuals for specific products or services that we offer.
Personal information we collect
- Contact data, such as your first and last name, email address, home address, billing address, and phone number.
- Demographic data, such as your city, state, country of residence, and postal code.
- Profile data, such as the username and password that you may set to establish an online account with us.
- Communications data based on our exchanges with you, including when you contact us with questions or feedback, through the Service, social media, or otherwise.
- Transactional data, such as information relating to or needed to complete your orders on or through the Service, including order numbers and transaction history.
- Marketing data, such as your preferences for receiving our marketing communications and details about your engagement with them.
- User-generated content, including details regarding your home, such as structural and appliance information, photographs of your home, copies of policies, manuals, warranties, and surveys, insurance and mortgage information, utilities and insurance providers, contact details for home service providers, and home maintenance records.
- Payment data, such as information needed to complete transactions including payment card information and/or bank account numbers.
Third-party sources. We may combine personal information we receive from you with personal information we obtain from other sources, such as:
- Public sources, such as government agencies, public records, real estate and permit records, and other publicly available sources.
- Private sources such as enterprise partners (such as insurance companies), data providers (including information services, weather analytics, and data licensors that provide household information (such as mortgage and appraisal history)) and social media platforms.
Automatic data collection. We, our service providers, and our business partners may automatically log information about you, your computer or mobile device, and your interaction over time with the Service, our communications and other online services, such as:
- Device data, such as your computer’s or mobile device’s operating system type and version, manufacturer and model, browser type, screen resolution, RAM and disk size, CPU usage, device type (e.g., phone, tablet), IP address, unique identifiers, language settings, mobile device carrier, radio/network information (e.g., Wi-Fi, LTE, 3G), and general location information such as city, state or geographic area.
- Online activity data, such as pages or screens you viewed, how long you spent on a page or screen, the website you visited before browsing to the Service, navigation paths between pages or screens, information about your activity on a page or screen, access times and duration of access, and whether you have opened our marketing emails or clicked links within them.
- Precise location data when you authorize our mobile application to access your device’s location.
Cookies and similar technologies. Like many online services, we, our service providers, and our business partners may use the following technologies:
How we use your personal information
Service delivery. We may use your personal information to:
- provide, operate and improve the Service and our business;
- provide tailored reminders and customized home care recommendations;
- establish and maintain your user profile on the Service;
- communicate with you about the Service, including by sending announcements, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages;
- connect you with home insurance carriers, insurance agents, real estate agents, mortgage banks and brokers, and other home service providers in whom you have expressed interest;
- understand your needs and interests, and personalize your experience with the Service and our communications; and
- provide support for the Service, and respond to your requests, questions and feedback.
Research and development. We may use your personal information for research and development purposes, including to analyze and improve the Service and our business, and to create insurance discounts for our services to the benefit of our members. As part of these activities, we may create aggregated, de-identified or other anonymous data from personal information we collect. We make personal information into anonymous data by removing information that makes the data personally identifiable to you. We may use this anonymous data and share it with third parties for our lawful business purposes, including to analyze and improve the Service and promote our business.
Marketing and advertising. We, our service providers and our third-party advertising partners may collect and use your personal information for the purposes outlined below and to improve the relevance of marketing campaigns:
- Direct marketing. We may send you vipHomeLink-related or other direct marketing communications as permitted by law. You may opt-out of our marketing communications as described in the Opt-out of marketing section below.
Compliance and protection. We may use your personal information to:
- comply with applicable laws, lawful requests, and legal process, such as to respond to subpoenas or requests from government authorities;
- protect our, your or others’ rights, privacy, safety or property (including by making and defending legal claims);
- audit our internal processes for compliance with legal and contractual requirements or our internal policies;
- enforce the terms and conditions that govern the Service; and
- prevent, identify, investigate and deter fraudulent, harmful, unauthorized, unethical or illegal activity, including cyberattacks and identity theft.
With your consent. In some cases, we may specifically ask for your consent to collect, use or share your personal information, such as when required by law.
Retention. We generally retain personal information to fulfill the purposes for which we collected it, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements, to establish or defend legal claims, or for fraud prevention purposes. To determine the appropriate retention period for personal information, we may consider factors such as the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal information, the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of your personal information, the purposes for which we process your personal information and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements.
Service providers. Third parties that provide services on our behalf or help us operate the Service or our business (such as hosting, information technology, service fulfillment, customer support, email delivery, marketing, and website analytics).
Advertising partners. Third-party advertising companies for the interest-based advertising purposes described above.
Third parties designated by you. We may share certain personal data with third parties where you have instructed us or provided your consent to do so. For example, we may share your personal information with third parties that provide independent services such as home insurance carriers, insurance agents, real estate agents, mortgage banks or brokers, or home service providers. We will share your personal information that is needed for these third parties to provide the services that in which you have expressed an interest and/or otherwise to communicate with you. We do not control how these third parties use your personal information.
Business partners. In the event that the Services have been provided to you as part of the branded (or co-branded) solution of a corporate partner, we may share certain personal data with such partner. These partners may include home insurance companies, real estate companies, mortgage banks, builders or other home service companies. We will share your personal information that is needed for these partners to provide their services to you and/or to communicate with you. We do not control how these partners use your personal information.
Professional advisors. Professional advisors, such as lawyers, auditors, bankers and insurers, where necessary in the course of the professional services that they render to us.
Authorities and others. Law enforcement, government authorities, and private parties, as we believe in good faith to be necessary or appropriate for the compliance and protection purposes described above.
Business transferees. Relevant participants in business transactions (or negotiations and diligence for such transactions) involving a corporate divestiture, merger, capital raising, consolidation, acquisition, reorganization, sale or other disposition of all or any portion of the business or assets of, or equity interests in, vipHomeLink or our affiliates (including, in connection with a bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
Access or update your information. If you have registered for an account with us through the Service, you may review and update certain account information by logging into the account.
Opt-out of marketing communications. You may opt-out of marketing-related emails by following the opt-out or unsubscribe instructions at the bottom of the email, or by contacting us. Please note that if you choose to opt-out of marketing-related emails, you may continue to receive service-related and other non-marketing emails.
Advertising choices. You may be able to limit use of your information for interest-based advertising by:
- Browser settings. Blocking third-party cookies in your browser settings.
- Privacy browsers/plug-ins. By using privacy browsers or ad-blocking browser plug-ins that let you block tracking technologies.
- Platform settings. Google and Facebook offer opt-out features that let you opt-out of use of your information for interest-based advertising:
- Ad industry tools. Opting out of interest-based ads from companies participating in the following industry opt-out programs:
- Network Advertising Initiative: http://www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp
- Digital Advertising Alliance: optout.aboutads.info.
- AppChoices mobile app, available at https://www.youradchoices.com/appchoices, which will allow you to opt-out of interest-based ads in mobile apps served by participating members of the Digital Advertising Alliance.
- Mobile settings. Using your mobile device settings to limit use of the advertising ID associated with your mobile device for interest-based advertising purposes.
You will need to apply these opt-out settings on each device from which you wish to opt-out.
Please note that we also may work with companies that offer their own opt-out mechanisms and may not participate in the opt-out mechanisms that we linked to above.
Cookies. Most browsers let you remove or reject cookies. To do this, follow the instructions in your browser settings. Many browsers accept cookies by default until you change your settings. Please note that if you set your browser to disable cookies, the Service may not work properly. For more information about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set on your browser and how to manage and delete them, visit www.allaboutcookies.org.
Mobile location data. You can disable our access to your device’s precise geolocation in your mobile device settings. Note: doing so may cause certain features of the Services (such as weather alerts) to not function properly.
Do Not Track. Some Internet browsers may be configured to send “Do Not Track” signals to the online services that you visit. We currently do not respond to “Do Not Track” or similar signals. To find out more about “Do Not Track,” please visit http://www.allaboutdnt.com.
Declining to provide information. We need to collect personal information to provide certain services. If you do not provide the information we identify as required or mandatory, we may not be able to provide those services.
Delete your content or close your account. You can choose to delete certain content through your account. If you wish to request to close your account, please contact us.